When you create an export, you will receive a customer base in a so-called CSV-file (Comma Separated Values). If you want to use a CSV-file you will probably have to make a couple of small adjustments so that our system will recognise it. In this guide, we’ll show you how you can separate the columns in a CSV-file.
How do I separate the columns in a CSV file?
1. Download the CSV file, create one or use the file you acquired through an export.
2. When you download an export, all the information will be in a single column. To separate columns, select a row (one of the letters above) and click on ‘Data’ at the top of the screen, and then on ‘Text to columns’.
3. Now, a window will open containing all the options available for editing the text into columns. At the first step choose ‘Delimited’. In the second step, only select the option ‘Commas’ from the list of Delimiters. In the final step, click on ‘Finish’.
4. The columns that must be filled in are ‘first_name’, ‘last_name’, ‘email’ and ‘number_of_tickets’. These data points are important because they are useful for tools such as MailChimp (but also for reserving spots on the guest list).
5. To save an Excel file as a ‘.csv’, click on ‘File’ in the top-left and select ‘Save as’ from the dropdown menu. You will be able to choose a number of file types. Choose the .csv option, as demonstrated in the example below.
You have now successfully separated the columns in the correct way. Now, you can start adding large groups to your guest list.
If you have any questions or feedback, please contact us via the chat in the bottom-right of your screen, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.